Normally these notes are prepared following one Board meeting but not this time – there have been five! Due to the extraordinary events of this month we met on the 4 ,9, 10,13 and 15 May.
The unprecedented circumstances of early May left us all depressed and wondering what would be the future of Aldershot Town football. Now just two weeks later discussions with the Conference are ongoing and things might not be as bad as once feared. There are also very positive signs that there is support for a fund-raising scheme. More updates will be available virtually daily. If you have not already done so please complete the Community Ownership survey and encourage all your contacts to do the same. You can finds the survey here
Other activities continue and here’s a brief summary:-
- These troubled times have ironically created good publicity for the Shots Trust with a resulting upsurge in membership. Something like 60 new members have joined and some existing members have upgraded to a five-year or lifetime package in May.
- The AGM is confirmed for Thursday 27 June and notices, agendas etc will go out in early June. It is of course easier to send out the papers via e-mail and if you have not already done so, please let us have your e-mail address.
- The Sportsman’s Dinner was a great success with a likely profit of around £750. You can read about it here. Terry is planning another event in July, hopefully with Neil Warnock as the special guest. The Darts Evening will probably be in September. Further details of both to follow.
- Another social event is this Saturday at the EBB Stadium when a fund-raising day is being planned for Tony Calvert. Tony is responding to treatment and hopes to leave Frimley Park soon. However he will require extensive rehabilitation. There are two football matches planned; the first at 12 noon between Bracknell and Binsted first XI’s, then at 2.30pm it’s Ash United Vets v Aldershot Town Vets. Tony played for all these clubs. This is followed by a hog-roast and live band in the evening. Further details from www.supporttonycalvert.co.uk.
- If you feel like going a little more upmarket there is a Grand Summer Ball at Oakley Hall on 15 June. It’s a black-tie event with tickets for a three-course meal and entertainment at £65 a head or £750 for a table of twelve. Further details from Nicky Banger on 07717828803
- We have a new Director on the Trust’s Board. Dr Peter O’Donnell, who is a GP with a practice in Godalming and lives in Elstead, is joining to help with the Community fund-raising scheme. However there are still nine Directors as Mike Hammond has stood down.
- The date for the ‘Early Bird’ season-tickets has been extended until the end of May. Don’t forget that your money will be ring-fenced and returned if things do not work out as hoped.
17 May 2013