By | March 26, 2015

Minutes of meeting of the Board of Directors

Wednesday 11 March at the Electrical Services Stadium

Attendees : Ian Barnett (IB), Bob Green (BG), Ian Goodwright (IG), Janet Guess (JG), Peter O’Donnell (PO), Tommy Anderson (TA), and Ian Dawkins (ID) and Scott Simpkin (SS)

 

1. Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence were received from Jason Berney (JB), Dave Donovan (DD), Sefton Owens (SO) and Stuart Griffiths (SG)

 

2. Welcome

IB welcomed Ian Dawkins, Business Advisor to the Trust, and Scott Simpkin who was keen to join the

Shots Board. It was hoped that these would be the first of several new appointments.

 

3. Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 12 February 2015

The minutes were circulated prior to the board meeting and were received by all. These were approved by the meeting and the Chairman signed accordingly.

 

4. Matters arising not on the agenda

i. East Bank Bar

The Trust had not yet provided any contribution to the cost of the shingle or new door and lock for the gents’ toilet but IB had held discussions with Andrew Clark about siting the Trust gazebo in the bar area next season. It was agreed that further meetings were required.

ii. SO Website expenses

SO was still to provide his bank details and proof of expenditure to enable these to be paid.

ACTION : SO

iii. Website – Director Profiles and Photos

JB had still not provided his profile and photo.

ACTION : JB/SO

iv. Pop Up Sign

BG had uncovered the relevant sign and would bring it to the next Saturday game to see if it was useful.

ACTION : BG

v. Community Stand

John Orme (JO) had accepted the position of Community Advisor to the Trust and it was agreed that JO, IB and BG would meet to discuss the plans for next season

ACTION : IB/BG/JO

vi. Fundraising

BG agreed to email Kidderminster to ask for details of their lottery scheme. Concern was expressed that any fundraising could be in conflict with the schemes run by the Football Club and also the need for volunteers to sell tickets.

ACTION : BG

It was agreed that the Trust should advertise for specific roles and have a vacancy section on the Trust website.

vii. Vanarama Big Day Out

It had been decided that there would not be time to have a tour of the ESS prior to the trip to Wembley for the play off final, but IG and TA would be arranging coaches.

ACTION : IG/TA

viii. Signed England Shirt

TA had now collected this from Terry Owens and it was agreed that it be framed at a cost of £90 and auctioned at the Club’s Summer Ball with £150 going to the Trust and the remainder to the Football Club.

There was also a signed England football which could be auctioned and Nicky Bull also had something he would donate.

 

5. The Future Direction of the Trust

IB said that people outside the Trust did not know what we do and we need to become the main focus of the Club. To do this we need to strengthen the Trust to ideally about sixteen people, including directors, volunteers and ‘consultants’, who would form a nucleus, and have specific roles in order to develop the Trust further. The Trust’s relationship with the Club was in some ways more positive but the Trust was also seen as an irritant. IG warned that it was important not to create a rift with the Football Club Board as, without the Club, the Trust was nothing, and it was important to continue to try to develop relationships.

The aim of the Trust had to be to take the Club into supporter ownership in the future and the primary means of achieving this is through Forever Shots, which some of the Football Club Board saw as a threat.  It was important that the Club understood that the Trust needed to be in position to take ownership of the Football Club should the occasion arise and have the credibility and funds available to do this. The position also needed to be clarified with Trust members.

PO said that the Trust Board needed to develop a strategy to enable this to happen. The current rules did not allow the issue of Community Shares which would be necessary for the Trust to purchase the Football Club and therefore the new rules would need to be adopted. This would require the approval of a third of the members eligible to vote, ie 150 members. Things to consider would be :

a) how to promote the Forever Shots Fund

b) what sort of people to recruit to the Trust Board

c) election of a sub committee to present to the Board

d) clarity on what members are being asked to approve.

It was important to maintain relationships with others who have offered to help and support the Trust and help draw up a strategic vision for how a Trust owned club would look. The Trust should publicise developments at the right time in a coordinated manner to maximise awareness and buy-in from supporters.

BG said that the strategy should be in place, presented to the Football Club, and then the Trust go ahead.

A sub-committee of ID, IB, SS, SO, PO and TA were agreed to take this forward, together with a representative from another Trust run club.

The terms of reference were agreed as

– to devise a strategy to enable the Shots Trust to become in a position to bring the Club into community ownership

– to develop some clear intentions and bring back to the Board.

It was agreed that it was imperative to promote the Forever Shots Fund and ways of donating money were discussed, including text donations and Just Giving. It was agreed that a thermometer be included on the Trust website showing the progress of donations.

ID had some contacts who were interested in donating to the Forever Shots Fund and it was agreed that a meeting be held with them w/c 27 April, with a presentation from the Trust board. IB agreed to provide a bullet point list which could be circulated to the participants in advance of the meeting.

It was agreed that the Trust were not interested in purchasing a minority shareholding in the Club but would pursue the idea of obtaining shares in return for donations for specific projects. It was agreed to approach the Kidderminster Trust to find out how this worked in their case.

IB had drafted a letter which he intended sending to the Football Club Board which he read to the Board.  He agreed to circulate this to the Board prior to sending.  PO said it was important to continue the relationship with the Football Club and work with them in support of projects.

 

6. Handover of Responsibility

i. Newsletter – It was agreed that SS would assist TA with this. One further meeting would be held with IG and TA agreed to send out a newsletter next week.

ii. Accounts IG was meeting with DD the following Saturday to hand over the accounts.

iii. Membership IG would arrange a meeting with BG and JG to facilitate this.

 

7. Any Other Business

i. Old Shots Programmes Keith Able was selling the old programmes owned by the Trust in the shop in the Wellington Centre with the takings going o the Shots Player Share. It was agreed that the programmes should be sold but that 50% of the takings go to Trust funds. IG agreed to discuss this with Keith.

ACTION : IG

 

8. Date of Next Meeting

This was agreed for Wednesday, 8 April 2015 at the ESS.

The meeting closed at 9.20 pm.

Leave a Reply