By | January 17, 2015

Minutes of meeting of the Board of Directors

Wednesday 15 January 2015 at the Electrical Services Stadium

Attendees : Ian Barnett (IB), Bob Green (BG), Stuart Griffiths (SG), Janet Guess (JG), Peter O’Donnell (PO), Sefton Owens (SO) and Mark Butler (MB) (part)

 

  1. Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence were received from Dave Donovan (DD), Ian Goodwright (IG), Jason Berney (JB), and Tommy Anderson (TA)

 

  1. Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 3 December 2014 and Emergency Board Meeting held on 7 January 2015

The minutes were circulated prior to the board meeting and were received by all. The minutes of the 3 December meeting were approved by the meeting and the Chairman signed accordingly. The Chairman wished to suggest some amendments to the EBM minutes and would forward these to JG.

ACTION : IB

 

  1. Mark Butler Update

The Chairman welcomed MB to the meeting. MB said that he wanted to update the Trust Board on several initiatives:

 

  1. Pictorial History of Aldershot – this had been on a back-burner and now MB wanted to revive it but would need the help of supporters in providing pictures and words for the stories. The Trust agreed to help as much as possible and would draft a message for MB to take this forward.

ACTION : IB/JG

 

  1. Commercial Income – MB said that this season was looking at an increase of about £50-£60,000 over the previous season, with at least £20,000 generated by the FA Cup run.

 

iii.        Shots Trust Day – MB was keen to support this but already had a match sponsor for the Wrexham match, the match favoured by the Trust. Match sponsorship was available for the Dover, Welling and Dartford games and ball sponsorship for the Kidderminster, Welling, Dartford, Torquay and Southport matches. MB said that the could help in organising ex-Aldershot players to attend.

 

  1. Chelsea – SG asked MB if the fact that Chelsea Under 21 could move their fixtures to Kinsgmeadow would have any effect on the commercial income, but MB said that he had not sold any sponsorship with a guarantee of appearance on Chelsea TV.

 

MB was thanked for his contribution, and he left the meeting.

 

  1. Matters arising not on the agenda

  2. SO Website expenses

SO agreed to provide his bank details and proof of expenditure to enable these to be paid.

ACTION : SO

  1. Website – Director Profiles and Photos

JB and DD’s profiles were not yet on the Trust website.

ACTION : JB/SO

iii.           Scoreboard

BG has still to ask the volunteers to relacquer the top and bottom brackets of the scoreboard with red oxide paint but they were currently extremely busy.

ACTION : BG

  1. Pop Up Sign

BG had uncovered the relevant sign and would bring it to the next Saturday game to see if it was useful.

ACTION : BG

  1. New Toilet Block

SG had spoken to Andrew Clark about costings and was awaiting information from him.

  1. Financial Report

Work on transferring the accounts to DD was progressing

ACTION : IG/DD

vii.       Garden of Remembrance

BG said that there was no progress with this but he had been tasked with providing costs for a remembrance wall.

viii.      End of Season Supporters Match

BG agreed to provide JB with suitable dates for this, one possibility of which was Saturday, 25 April, when the first team was away to Grimsby.

ACTION : BG

 

  1. Refocus Priorities
  2. Front of Ground : It was agreed that the Trust needed a visible presence and it as agreed to sell programmes and raffle tickets at the Gazebo.
  3. Rules : These needed to be finalised and presented to members at a Special General Meeting, which could be combined with the Open Meeting. The Trust Board approved the new rules as circulated.

iii.        Handover of Accounts : It was agreed to have this as an agenda item for the next meeting to ensure it happened.

ACTION : JG to include on agenda

  1. Need to co-opt people : It was agreed that the Trust Board needed more manpower.
  2. Website : It was agreed that this should be updated.
  3. Membership- IG had indicated that he would be resigning from the Trust Board and it was agreed that he should be relieved of the role of Membership Secretary in order to allow him to concentrate on the other aspects of his contribution. BG agreed to take on this role and IB agreed to talk to IG about this.

ACTION : IB

 

It was agreed that all other activities be put on the back-burner.

 

  1. Update following Emergency Board Meeting

Following the meeting IB had contacted Shahid Azeem (SA) to let him know that the Trust would be investigating further the possibility of purchasing a majority shareholding in the Club, and he had also contacted Supporters Direct (SD) again and was in receipt of a draft Confidentiality and Exclusivity agreement which the Trust Board had signed and forwarded to SA for his and the Football Club directors’ signatures. Nick Igoe from SD would then contact SA and Russ Howell to gain access to the Club accounts, etc. The signed agreement had not been returned to the Trust but SA had sent a message suggesting that the Trust should purchase all the shareholding, ie £331,050.00 worth of shares, and these should be paid for over three years, with the first payment on 15 May and yearly thereafter. He had also asked for a personal guarantee for payment of his shares from one or more Trust Director and for payment of £104,059.00 for the preferential shares. A meeting had been suggested towards the end of January/beginning of February. It was agreed that this was just the starting point of the negotiations.

 

IB had contacted several people, including Mike Moran, to invite them to be co-opted to the Trust Board but had received no positive replies.

 

It was agreed that nothing further could be done until Nick Igoe’s and James Matthie’s reports were received.

 

  1. Finance Report

IG had reported that the Trust had not been reimbursed by the Club for the cost of the coaches to Rochdale, to which BG replied that IG needed to raise an invoice for this.

ACTION : IG

 

  1. Sub-Committees

 

  1. Phoenix (TA/IB/BG)

Design Competition : IB was still to circulate the entries for this to the Trust Directors.

ACTION : IB

 

  1. Website/Comms (SO/TA)

Website: It was agreed to update this and SO agreed to email ideas to the Trust Directors.

ACTION : SO

Social Media : TA was not at the meeting but had submitted a report which is attached to these minutes..

 

iii.       Ground as a Community Asset

IB had prepared an application for this which he agreed to circulate to the Trust Directors.

ACTION : IB

 

  1. Community Stand (IB/BG/JB)

John Orme had indicated his interest in helping with organising attendance and IB agreed to send him the relevant information.

ACTION : IB

BG said that the sponsors of the Community Stand had expressed their disappointment that this had been closed in recent matches which was connected to reducing the costs of stewarding. However, it had now been agreed that it would be open and that the away section be closed and segregation allowed.

 

  1. Any Other Business
  2. Fleet Half Marathon

It was agreed that Jim Rapley would wear the Phoenix competition to run in this.

  1. Bulletin Board

BG agreed to display this during the week to advertise events to supporters.

 

  1. Date of Next Meeting

This had been agreed for Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 6.45 pm at the ESS Stadium.

 

The meeting closed at 9.20 pm

 

Shots Trust Action Points – Tommy Anderson / Media Update

 

  • Handover of Newsletter: Myself and Ian are still yet to officially meet up to hand over the newsletter, however I have received the database along with the login details and have had a lengthy mooch and feel that I will very soon be accomplished with handling this quite easily. It’s a friendly database which is easily accessible and user friendly. I am not too sure as to when we will officially meet up because Ian is hectic at work, meaning his spare time is limited. I will now allow Ian to set a date and agree to that schedule.

 

  • Media Update: The response and additions to our Twitter and Facebook accounts have been nothing short of tremendous!! I had a target to gain 445 followers on Twitter by Christmas and 230 Facebook likes. This target with a timely push from myself and was well beaten and I am proud to announce that we now have 457 Twitter followers and an amazing 271 likes on Facebook! Simply incredible and it just goes to show how quickly things can gain momentum and progress. I am regularly communicating with supporters on both Twitter and Facebook which seems to be going down well. I will continue to run both of the social network accounts keeping the same format and principles as I do now.

 

  • Communication Update: Following a couple of days of talks and actions, I have now as of this morning submitted the Trust agreed statement to go on Shotsweb with detailed answers from the Club Board following questions from supporters. I have worked alongside Brian, Ian B and Peter to get this message across. I will continue to liaise with these people for the submission of a larger summary which will be provided after our meeting in a couple of weeks’ time. I hope and will encourage that this summary is uploaded onto the website.

 

  • James Wade Darts Night Latest: I must say this was going really well until New Year’s Day! I had in principle agreed a formal date with James Wade to come down for the evening but this was hampered by the fact that James has now been chosen to play in the Premier League Darts format which spans across 15 weeks straight. There are only 10 players that get chosen to take part in this weekly event, which sees them travelling to a different venue every week on a Thursday night from February – June! One week James will be in Leeds and another Glasgow! It varies. James was surprised at the fact he was to be included in this event as he was left out last year and didn’t expect another invitation. This comes at a big blow to us sadly as James cannot commit a date until July at least due to the travelling and time constraints he will now have. This is certainly an unwanted blow for myself and the Trust going forward, but I will continue to pursue possible change of dates and will keep in constant communication with him to make sure we can fit something in for the future.
  • Steve Claridge Shirt: After our last meeting, myself and Ian G popped round to Terry Owens house to collect the signed England shirt to be ready for auctioning. Terry unfortunately wasn’t in to sort this out for us. So we agreed that Ian G would collect from Terry and sort out in time for our next meeting.
  • Lucky 7’s: One of my other tasks was to urge others to sign up for Dave’s very promising Lucky 7’s. I have indeed spoken to a number of people who would be interested privately. What I didn’t want to do was to promote via social media and Shotsweb currently as it was my understanding that Dave didn’t want large volumes of people coming on board until next season? I may be wrong! Can we please check with Dave if this is the case? The people I spoke to were very encouraged by this and definitely say that this is something they will sign up to which is great news! I will keep this moving forward and collect a list of names that could be signed up for the start of next season. There could be a big batch for Dave to calculate at this rate!

 

Leave a Reply