ALDERSHOT TOWN SUPPORTERS SOCIETY LIMITED – The Shots Trust
Minutes of the teleconference meeting of Board of Directors
17th June 2020, 19:00
Attendees: Tom Anderson (TA), Mick Lee (ML), Michael Foster (MF), Laura Smart (LS), Alan Hillier (AH), Sean Chambers (SC)
- Apologies for Absence
Nick Bond (NB), Robin Carder (RC)
- Approval of minutes of last meeting
The minutes were approved.
- Review of previous actions
Of the 13 actions carried forward from May, 9 were completed, 1 is in progress and 3 are carried forward. Progress on the 4 will be reported to the July meeting.
ML presented his final update on the Trust’s financial position, which was then discussed. No points of interest or concern were raised with the accounts themselves.
ML/LS have had a good finances handover discussion, and have agreed a second to cover the audit of the final 2019-20 accounts and the transfer of all documentation / paperwork. ML has been in email contact with Mike Greenwood, auditor, copying LS into the mail traffic. LS has asked the auditor what he needs to see for CFS, which is to be subsumed into the Trust account for the first time this year.
THE TRUST WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS ITS THANKS AND GRATITUDE FOR ML’s WORK ON TRUST FINANCES OVER THE PAST FOUR YEARS, AND HIS OVERALL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE SHOTS TRUST. HE HAS AGREED TO COMPLETE THE AUDIT OF THE TRUST’S 2019-20 ACCOUNTS, FOR WHICH WE ARE VERY GRATEFUL. WE’D LIKE TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO WISH HIM ALL THE BEST; HE WILL BE MUCH MISSED.
- Discussions with Bob Green on our agreed project: little real progress to report. TA has held brief conversations with the Club in respect of the project which we have agreed to fund for the Club. He asked about the possibility of our logo appearing on the safety netting intended for erection in front of the Community Stand pre-match. The Club has indicated that it is something that can be explored, if and when the project gets the go ahead. Once further discussions have been had, we will push to make progress on this project and look to identify others which might allow us to support the Club further in these difficult times.
- Sunday League football team: TA reported good discussions with Mr Gregory on the Trust’s Sunday League football team. A group of players have already been assembled; many have already paid part of their signing on fees. Mr Gregory has purchased essential training equipment necessities with the funds obtained. The Hampshire League affiliation has agreed for next season to waive signup League and Cup fee. We have been placed in the local league Division 6. TA has agreed to support Mr Gregory in finding a permanent home matchday pitch for next season. The first day of training has been set for the 28th June at 11am in the Aldershot Park. A code of conduct, for both players and management is being drafted.
- Publicity and newsletter: TA proposed the production of a quarterly newsletter on Trust activities and plans, to be disseminated through email to members.
- Fundraising: Cash for Shots, Trust membership, Lucky 7s.
ML: as he is stepping down from the Trust Board at the end of June, ML left the meeting at this point.
CFS: LS gave an update on the Cash for Shots data. Membership continues to grow, and funds are looking quite healthy. LS also updated the Board on the CFS Subcommittee’s discussions on a possible relaunch. Ideas considered were a) moving to fortnightly draws, with a winner and runner up, or b) harking back to the 2007 CFS launch, to do a twice-yearly special draw. TA suggested that could be in December and at the end of the season in June. The Board agreed with the proposal.
TA OFFERED THE BOARD’S APPRECIATION AND GRATITUDE FOR THE SERVICES OF MIKE PUSEY OVER MANY YEARS. MIKE HAS BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SELECTION OF THE WEEKLY CASH FOR SHOTS NUMBER SINCE ITS INCEPTION, BUT HAS NOW DECIDED TO STEP DOWN FROM THE ROLE. MIKE HAS, HOWEVER, NOW BECOME A SUBSCRIBER TO CASH FOR SHOTS! WE WISH HIM GOOD LUCK IN FUTURE DRAWS. THE TRUST NOW USES A RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR, OPERATED BY TWO YOUNG SHOTS FANS, OLLIE AND ARCHIE LEWIS. OM BEHALF OF THE TRUST BOARD, TA SENDS A VERY WARM WELCOME TO THEM BOTH!
Lucky 7s: TA confirmed that the scheme was running again now that the league is playing once more. Membership is again looking healthy, with numbers increasing as knowledge of the relaunch spreads.
Shots Trust update: MF reported a continuing improvement in the renewal of Shots memberships, with an additional 23 since the last meeting. The system of emailing reminders to those whose subscription is nearing expiry has been updated and largely automated, and is already generating good results. MF also reported that the website needs a number of upgrades. Despite his imminent stepping down from the Board, RC has agreed to look into this to see what he can do.
THE TRUST WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS OUR THANKS AND GRATITUDE FOR RC’s WORK ON THE MEMBERSHIP DATABASES OVER MANY YEARS. HE SERVED AS VICE CHAIRMAN OVER THE LAST FOUR YEARS, IN ADDITION TO WORKING ON THE MEMBERSHIP DATABASE AND RUNNING THE WEBSITE. DESPITE STEPPING DOWN FROM THE TRUST BOARD, HE HAS AGREED TO KEEP AN EYE ON WEBSITE AND ASSIST WHEN NECESSARY, FOR WHICH WE ARE VERY GRATEFUL. WE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITU TO WISH HIM ALL THE BEST.
- Update on FCA engagement: LS reported that the official address had now been updated. The FCA advised that it does not routinely accept forms listing director and secretary details from Trusts such as ours; instead it picks details up from the annual accounts. However, that had not happened with the 2018-19 accounts; ML / LS will pursue this omission with the FCA. Also, the 2019-20 accounts had not yet been laid, although they were submitted. ML reported that he had been in touch with the FCA on this and had been told that they were ‘in a covid-19 inspired queue’.
- The Vine: the donation to The Vine had been very gratefully received and, in addition to being posted on our own website, had been posted by The Vine on Facebook.
- TA expressed the Board’s deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Mr Paul Shrubb, a loyal stalwart to both AFC and ATFC, who sadly passed away last month. Paul served as a player to AFC; a coach and even caretaker manager to ATFC, where he boasted a 100% win record! Everybody at the Shots Trust was saddened to hear of Paul’s passing and will be sending a card to Paul’s family.
Meeting conclusion: 20.40
Date of Next Meeting: 15th July, teleconference.